Welcome to Wellness
The team at Garrett County Memorial Hospital feels privileged to provide emergency, acute care, and surgical services. But if we could have just one wish granted, it would be for each member of our community to enjoy good health and never need those services. We work toward this goal every day with a variety of caring Wellness Programs.
GCMH urges you to take a proactive role in your health and the wellness of those you care about most, by taking advantage of these cost-effective programs. Please call our Wellness Department at (301) 533-4295 or (301) 533-4366 to learn more about staying well through every stage of your life.
For Parents and Kids
- Look Good…Feel Better®. A diagnosis of cancer has a devastating impact on so many aspects of life. This FREE program, sponsored by the American Cancer Society, educates women on coping with skin changes and hair loss from cancer treatments. We offer Look Good . . . Feel Better regularly throughout the year (with pre-registration required) because we know that it’s important for you to share with others who are living with cancer and to maintain a sense of pride in your appearance. Visit www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org and register by calling (301) 533-4366.
- Osteoporosis Screening. Know the facts and take action to stay long and strong. A bone mineral density screening helps to identify your risk for bone loss and future bone fractures. This test is safe, quick, and convenient!
Call us at (301) 533-4295 to register for the next osteoporosis screening.
- Golden Advantage Club. Join the club – the one designed to assist those 55 and over in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Our goal is to help seniors remain vital and active through wellness programs and educational activities. Your $5.00 annual membership includes:
- Advance notice of senior wellness clinics and screenings.
- Monthly blood pressure check.
- Recipes, health tips, newsletters, and health articles.
- Educational pamphlets.
- Assistance with medical forms from a billing expert/educator.
- Notary service (by appointment).
- Advance Directive/Living Will consultation, by appointment.
- 10% discount on regularly priced gift ware in the Loar Auxiliary Gift Shop.
Click here to download the registration form. After completed please mail to:
Garrett County Memorial Hospital
Attention: Jessica Lucas
251 North Fourth Street
Oakland, MD 21550
For more information, call (301) 533-4041.
- Wellness Blood Screening. For $65.00 (an additional $30.00 for optional PSA) you’ll receive a comprehensive blood screen panel valued at over $300. It is offered every year on Wednesdays throughout the month of May. Tests include cholesterol; heart, liver and kidney function; blood sugar; and more.
An appointment is required, so please call:
(301) 533-4295, or
- AquaTrend. Improve your health and decrease the risk of chronic illness with group exercise in the heated pool at the CARC (Community Aquatic and Recreation Complex) at Garrett College and in the therapeutic pool at GRS (Garrett Rehab Services) in Oakland. Exercises are fun and appropriate for all fitness levels. Call (301) 533-4295 for information.
- Wellness Education Center. Division of Garrett County Memorial Hospital. Call 301-533-4WEL (4935) for further information
Every Monday & Wednesday at 11:30 am
Simple Steps to Better Health – A total body workout that is great for seniors, post therapy/rehab, or anyone just getting started. The exercises will focus on strength, balance, stability, and flexibility.
Every Tuesday & Thursday
8:00 am – Walking Workout - Walking strengthens your heart, lungs, bones while toning muscles, increasing metabolic rate and energy. Walking with a group is fun. We will make it exciting and add surprises along the way!
9:00 am – Healthy Heart Floor Exercise – Aerobic exercise for the heart. This will be a moderate-intensity class to get your heart rate up and burn calories. A variety of equipment will be used including the aerobic step, dumbbells, stability ball, and resistance tubes.
4:00 pm – Pulse Plus – Get your pulse rate pumping! An opportunity to exercise for all ages, to work your heart, lungs, and muscles. We will combine types of music and workouts to achieve this goal. All workouts can be tailored to your fitness level. Warning: you will sweat!
5:30 pm – Maximum Fitness Class - A high intensity strength and cardio class designed to challenge you and burn lots of calories. The workout is quick with little rest, but all moves can be modified when necessary to stay safe and avoid injury.
Wellness Consultations. If you’ve recently been diagnosed with a medical condition, it’s important to learn more about what you can do to manage it effectively. Our counselors provide educational sessions and follow-up materials for stress management and relaxation, smoking cessation, and weight management through nutrition and exercise. We know that it helps to have someone to hear your concerns and answer your questions.
- Arthritis/Fibromyalgia Support Group. The camaraderie and encouragement you need to deal with this difficult situation. April through September our group facilitator arranges FREE, upbeat meetings, each with a distinctive theme.
No registration is required – just join us when you can. For more information call (301) 533-4366.
- HealthWorks. Worksite programs are a win-win for employers and members of the workforce.
The convenience of voluntary wellness opportunities, coordinated by a registered nurse and offered during work hours, encourages participation. Many group health insurance plans reward involvement with reduced costs or more favorable deductibles. Early detection through medical screenings means opportunity for effective management and improves chance of cure.
As a business owner or manager, you reap the benefits of a happier, healthier staff. Wellness programs are a proven method to decrease work absences and increase productivity. HealthWorks is a cost effective way to reach many employees and show that you genuinely care about their wellbeing.
We customize programs based on number of employees, your goals, and your budget. A single offering or a combination of services such as flu vaccines, blood screenings, CPR training and first aid, weight loss programs, smoking cessation, drug screens, stress management, exercise, and speaker presentations is available. To discuss or set up HealthWorks at your shop call (301) 533-4295.
Garrett County Memorial Hospital – doing more than addressing your acute care needs. Our wellness programs provide a proactive, compassionate approach to the health of our community. Simply put, we care about keeping you healthy!